Private Cooking For Your Personal Taste

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Can We Blame The Food Network?

In an age where chefs are celebrities and a regular TV gig turns the classically trained and mere personalities alike into culinary rock stars, the shortage of chefs of African descent is noteworthy if only by their striking absence."I have often wondered if people ever thought about "Black Chefs" being a true part of the real culinary world. As an Afro-American Chef it's often hard to figure out who's really true blue when asking for help. The Food Network  has made it seem  as if you don't make it here your not  as good as you  may think, that is so not the case. But think about it…the number of black chefs or hosts on the Food Network has been and continues to be really paltry. I guess that shouldn’t be a surprise, but more of a reflection of the situation in the country as a whole. Don't get me wrong I would live my own show I got a script and everything. But your not about to dress me in some hot pink botton down and spike my hair to make me more appealing.
In the skime of thinks I guess we really can't blame The Food Network  all the way,Black families haven’t traditionally viewed the cooking profession as desirable for their young people.  The Culinary Institute of America has seen the numbers of black students rising very slowly. I suppose the real answer to this is education, which will lead to more opportunities for young people. The Careers Through Culinary Arts Program starts with high school students and provides counseling and scholarships for those interested in cooking careers.

There are many fine black cooks in this country. Whether through mentoring or frequenting their restaurants, buying their books or watching them on television, let’s give every ethnicity more of a chance to be called “Chef “.

No comments:

Post a Comment